Backdoor.Vools is Malwarebytes detection name for a Backdoor that steals information from the affected system and consequently download and installs other malware.
Type and source of infection
Backdoor.Vools typically installs a crypto-currency-miner on the affected system after communicating back system information.
Backdoor.Vools spreads using the SMB vulnerability released by the ShadowBrokers and connects to other machines at port 445.
Malwarebytes protects users from Backdoor.Vools by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes blocks Backdoor.Vools
To remove Backdoor.Vools using Malwarebytes business products, follow the instructions below.
How to remove Backdoor.Vools with Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection
- Go to the Malwarebytes Cloud console.
- To allow you to invoke a scan while the machine is off the network, go to Settings > Policies > your policy > General.
- Under Endpoint Interface Options, turn ON:
- Show Malwarebytes icon in notification area
- Allow users to run a Threat Scan (all threats will be quarantined automatically)
If you have infected machines that are not registered endpoints in Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection, you can remove Backdoor.Vools with our Breach Remediation tool (MBBR).
- Log into your My Account page and copy your license key. The key is needed to activate MBBR tool.
- Open your Cloud console.
- From a clean and safe machine, go to Endpoints > Add > Malwarebytes Breach Remediation. This will download the MBBR zip package.
- Unzip the package.
- Access a Windows command line prompt and issue the following commands:
mbbr register –key:<prodkey>
Note: You must substitute your license key for <prodkey>.
- Copy the MBBR folder to a flash drive.
- From an infected, offline machine, copy the MBBR folder from the flash drive.
- Start a scan using the following command:
mbbr scan –full –ark –remove –noreboot
- Refer to the Malwarebytes Breach Remediation Windows Administrator Guide for all supported scanning commands.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Backdoor.Vools without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.