Hijack.FolderOptions is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a potentially unwanted modification that stops users from using the Folder Options dialog box on Windows systems.
The following registry value data are modified:
this value is set to
This removes the Folder Options from all Windows Explorer menus and removes the Folder Options item from Control Panel.
Malwarebytes can modify these registry value data back to their Windows default settings without user interaction.
Also, we advise users to do a full system scan as Hijack.FolderOptions could have been added to the system by malware or PUP.
Add an exclusion
When Hijack.FolderOptions is detected on your computer, Malwarebytes for Windows does not know if it was authorized. Optimization software, malware, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are known to make these types of changes, hence they are regarded as potentially unwanted.
To have Malwarebytes for Windows ignore a Hijack, you must add the Hijack as an exclusion.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click Settings, then click the Protection tab.
- Scroll down to the bottom.
- Turn off Automatically quarantine detected malware. Turning this setting off prevents Malwarebytes for Windows from quarantining the Hijack automatically.
- Go to the Dashboard, then click Scan Now.
- When the Threat Scan Results appear, uncheck the box next to the detected Hijack you want to keep.
- Click Next.
- On the Remaining Items window, click Ignore Always to add the exclude the detectedHijack(s).
- Turn on Automatically quarantine detected malware.To find this setting, click Settings > Protection.
When a Hijack is excluded, Malwarebytes for Windows does not detect the Hijack during scans or real-time protection.
Related blog content
10 easy ways to prevent malware infection
10 easy steps to clean your infected computer