This detection is for a potentially unwanted modification (PUM) in the Windows registry that prevents the user from accessing System Properties via My Computer as well as via Control Panel.
The following registry value data are modified:
Malwarebytes can set this value to 0, which restores the access without further user interaction.
Also, we advise users to do a full system scan as PUM.Optional.DisableMCProperties could have been added to the system by malware or PUP.
Add an exclusion
When PUM is detected on your computer, Malwarebytes for Windows does not know if it was authorized. Optimization software, malware, and Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) are known to make these types of changes, hence they are regarded as potentially unwanted.
To have Malwarebytes for Windows ignore a PUM, you must add the PUM as an exclusion.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click Settings, then click theProtection tab.
- Scroll down to the bottom.
- Turn off Automatically quarantine detected malware.Turning this setting off prevents Malwarebytes for Windows from quarantining the PUM automatically.
- Go to the Dashboard, then click Scan Now.
- When the Threat Scan Results appear, uncheck the box next to the detected PUM you want to keep.
- Click Next.
- On the Remaining Items window, click Ignore Always to add the exclude the detected PUM(s).
- Turn on Automatically quarantine detected malware.To find this setting, click Settings > Protection.
When a PUM is excluded, Malwarebytes for Windows does not detect the PUM during scans or Real-Time Protection.
Related blog content
Malwarebytes for Windows detected a Potentially Unwanted Modification
How your business can avoid potentially unwanted programs