PUP.Optional.ByteFence is the detection for a fake anti-malware program that constantly displays pop-up notifications of system infections in an attempt to convince users to buy their product.
Type and source of infection
PUP.Optional.ByteFence is a fake anti-malware that is usually installed by bundlers without users being aware of it.
GUI of PUP.Optional.ByteFence
Malwarebytes protects users from PUP.Optional.ByteFence by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes blocks PUP.Optional.ByteFence
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.ByteFence without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Add an exclusion
Should users wish to keep this program and exclude it from being detected in future scans, they can add the program to the exclusions list. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click the Detection History
- Click the Allow List
- To add an item to the Allow List, click Add.
- Select the exclusion type Allow a file or folder and use the Select a folder button to select the main folder for the software that you wish to keep.
- Repeat this for any secondary files or folder(s) that belong to the software.
If you want to allow the program to connect to the Internet, for example to fetch updates, also add an exclusion of the type Allow an application to connect to the internet and use the Browse button to select the file you wish to grant access.