PUP.Optional.FullTab is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a few potentially unwanted Chrome extensions that are newtab hijackers.
Type and source of infection
PUP.Optional.FullTab takes control of which site will open when the user opens a new browser tab on an affected system. These extensions are promoted by adware and/or other potentially unwanted programs to trick the user into believing they are useful.
Promotion of PUP.Optional.FullTab
Malwarebytes blocks the domain that pushes the extensions.
Malwarebytes blocks fulltab.com
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.FullTab without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Add an exclusion
Should users wish to keep this program and exclude it from being detected in future scans, they can add the program to the exclusions list. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click the Detection History
- Click the Allow List
- To add an item to the Allow List, click Add.
- Select the exclusion type Allow a file or folder and use the Select a folder button to select the main folder for the software that you wish to keep.
- Repeat this for any secondary files or folder(s) that belong to the software.