PUP.Optional.MorePowerfulCleaner is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP), specifically a system optimizer that is promoted as software to speed up users’ Windows systems by cleaning out junk files and doing some “smart balancing”. It also promises to improve your internet connection by speeding it up, blocking ads and smart monitoring.
The overall goal of this PUP is to increase the amount of advertisement impressions shown to the user. This is done by hijacking the browser’s Start page and advertising based on the affected system’s geolocation.
Common infection method
PUP.Optional.MorePowerfulCleaner installers can either be downloaded from their website or be found in several software bundles. The installer from the official site and the one found in bundles behave differently. For example, the former performs no Start page hijacking and drops less icons on user desktops.
- Be vigilant when installing third-party applications.
- Scan the download with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware prior to installation.
- Read up on how to avoid potentially unwanted programs.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware completely removes this threat, unless specifically pointed out in a dedicated removal guide. No further clean up is required.
- For some variants, it may be beneficial to read our guide to restore your browser.
- For additional details on removal, please check out the removal guide for MPC Cleaner.