PUP.Optional.WindowsProtectManager is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that is promoted as a web browser extension. Once installed, it hijacks a browser’s home page, redirects web traffic to unwanted sites, and displays excessive amounts of pop-up ads.
Malwarebytes protects users from PUP.Optional.WindowsProtectManager by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes blocks PUP.Optional.WindowsProtectManager
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.WindowsProtectManager without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Add an exclusion
Should users wish to keep this program and exclude it from being detected in future scans, they can add the program to the exclusions list. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click the Detection History
- Click the Allow List
- To add an item to the Allow List, click Add.
- Select the exclusion type Allow a file or folder and use the Select a folder button to select the main folder for the software that you wish to keep.
- Repeat this for any secondary files or folder(s) that belong to the software.
If you want to allow the program to connect to the Internet, for example to fetch updates, also add an exclusion of the type Allow an application to connect to the internet and use the Browse button to select the file you wish to grant access.
- SHA256 120329c84e0b7b2090d8a40e6b20ca1d3b8d8ca157d0bbb3e804abc86d62d480
- SHA256 949eba99961fe0b2df90c5f18689b66d19d4728837c57257805baf499fd400ad
- SHA256 9cdbe4b88122b133a87135537007f8b9952b0fbd903c2e071d949e50de2f3cd8
- SHA256 f6a55c71835e60869725a59ad8239b08b4bf586063edc453df9f52be3e2ee892