Trojan.SafeGuard is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a Trojan that is marketed as a false anti-malware scanner.
Type and source of the infection
Trojan.SafeGuard performs a LSP hijack on infected machines.
Trojan.SafeGuard is usually installed by the users themselves as part of a bundler or as a result of aggressive marketing.
Malwarebytes protects users from Trojan.SafeGuard by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes blocks Trojan.SafeGuard
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Trojan.SafeGuard without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get startedbutton.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
The user should be prompted to reboot at least once, because of the needed reset of the Winsock. Without a reboot, the user could potentially lose their Internet connection.