Virus.Renamer is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a virus that also displays worm-like behavior by copying itself to network shares. It also downloads and installs other malware on infected systems.
The virus renames legitimate files and hides them. It then takes the place of those files.
Malwarebytes protects users from Virus.Renamer by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes blocks Virus.Renamer
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Virus.Renamer without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Malwarebytes can not retrieve the original, renamed and hidden files. You may want to run the Windows System File Checker after the removal has been done.
How to remove Virus.Renamer with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.